A couple of years ago my One Challenge USA team took a retreat together for a few days. Our colleague from Outreach Canada, Alan Simpson, facilitated our time together. I was so grateful for the time that Alan invested in preparing for the retreat.
One of the tools that he used was asking a series of questions he asked in advance of each of us to help him understand our needs.
Here are some of the questions that he asked us:
- As you prepare for the retreat what three key things in your opinion would make that time together a success?
- If you where to describe your personal spiritual health condition using a metaphor or analogy what would that be?
- If you where to describe the current health condition of the team using a metaphor or analogy what would that be?
- From your perspective, what signs and symptoms indicate challenges that need addressing on the OC Team?
- What are the three most urgent and important issues facing the OC Team at this time in your history?
- What else do you want the facilitator to know as we prepare for our time together?
If you are planning a team retreat, how could using questions like these help your team prepare?
What else could you do to prepare?
[Share ideas in comments below]
Today’s Missional Challenge
Consider how to maximize any team gathering or retreat by taking time to prepare in advance.