How do you get a grip on it?
How do you make it your own?
For too long, churches have focused on developing their mission statement – much like corporate America forms a mission statement. Let me say first of all: I’m not against mission statements. However…
There’s too much time spent crafting a mission statement and not enough time aligning the church with the mission of Jesus.
Summary of ideas from recent training event
As I train church planters and teams, I emphasize this fact. We need to first know Jesus’ mission. Next, we need to seize it as our own. Third, we need to live out the mission of Jesus!
Missional Living is all about being Jesus to everyone everywhere! To “be Jesus” – Christians must embody the mission of Jesus to everyone!
Reflect on Scriptures where Jesus states why He came. Consider: Matt 5:17; 9:13; 10:34; Mark 10:45; Luke 4:18–19; Luke 19:10; John 3:17; 6:38–40; 10:10
Then take a few moments and brainstorm ways that you can personally grasp Jesus mission as your mission!
10 Ways to Seize the Mission
1. Internalize the mission of Jesus. Know why He said He came (hint: read the Gospels). Work on ways to communicate His mission to others.
2. Seek to embody the mission by being a blessing to others daily.
3. Start with yourself and your family. Find ways to serve those in your neighborhood.
4. Ask God to show you who He wants you to “be Jesus” to each day.
5. Pray with others that God’s “kingdom come” and His “will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”
6. Stop being consumer Christians and start serving outside the walls of your church.
7. Discover ways that God is working in the culture around you and join Him in His work.
8. Confess your self-centeredness. Then give yourself to loving others as Jesus loves you.
9. Wait for the harvest. Do your part and trust God to do His part.
10. Invite those who don’t follow Jesus to follow you as you follow Jesus!
Seize Christ’s mission as your own!