Here are some of the things I’ve done in preparation for coaching pastors, church planters and church leaders:
1. Review the notes of your last appointment.
2. Review the GROW technique:
- Goal – what’s the goal? what are you trying to accomplish?
- Reality – what’s the reality of the situation? what have you accomplished?
- Options – what can you do to reach the goal? Brainstorm.
- Will – what will you do? what are you next steps?
3. Answer the following questions as you prepare for your appointment.
- Have I prayed for this leader?
- Have I developed effective coaching questions? Remember: Never answer your own questions!
- Am I prepared to listen? “He who talks most, listens least.”
- What personal or ministry needs am I aware of?
- What needs or issues am I avoiding?
- What ministry skills need to be developed?
- What resources would be helpful?
- How will I encourage this leader?
- How will I strengthen our coaching relationship?
4. Review the following “holistic questions.”
- Feelings – How do you feel about your ministry?
- Family – How’s your family? What are you doing to show value to them?
- Faith – How are you and God doing? What does God want to see in you?
- Focus – What’s important? What’s urgent? What’s next?